Friday, July 5, 2013

Live from London: What I've Learned Part 1

  Again sorry this post is a little later than expected.  It's kind of crazy around here and honestly I've been choosing Scripture memory over everything else.

I've learned many things this summer and ill try to sum it up in one post.  If you want a more detailed description feel free to ask for another post or see me in person.

First off I learned that customs is crazy.  We were detained on the way in for saying the word volunteer, but by the grace of God we made it in and were to able to carry on with our summer. Secondly you have to be quick getting on the tube because the door shut on one of the girls the first day and we almost left without her; again by the grace of God someone saw and was able to open the door.  Now I say these things cause they are kind of funny to look back on but there is another lesson here, that God is sovereign over even the little things you don't think about. Planning this trip we didn't think about getting detained or almost losing someone on the first day, but it almost happened and it shows how God is perfectly weaving everything together.

This summer has also been a revolutionary one for my concept of community.  Now I've always known the importance of community and how to love people and they pray and support me, but honestly this past year I have been struggling with my campus community.  I didn't feel like I belonged in Campus Outreach anymore, that no one really cared about me because no one really came to see me or hung out like everyone else did (well it seemed that way to me).  This was all just lies that the devil was using against me, but I stuck it out knowing they were all lies and just hoping and praying and knowing that God would one day reveal to me his sovereignty over community.  This summer he helped to show me that I have an all inclusive heart. What this means is that I want everyone to be included and feel welcomed and loved.  While this is a good thing I was also turning it around and expecting everyone in my community to be the same way.  I was relying way too much on returned love than on God because I was pouring out love and not really feeling the love I expected in return.  John 13:34-35 talks of how we are to love each other because of how Jesus has loved us. ; it doesn't say love someone and if they don't love you the way you expected then you don't belong, it says love because I have loved you.  The point of community is to pour out love in fellowship and not expect it in return, but since Christ is in them it is often returned.

Realizing how long this is I'm going to post a part 2 to what I've learned tomorrow.
Take care friends, thanks for your prayers, your love and support.

Love God and Love the world
Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment